Quote Originally Posted by HKSjbg View Post
If it’s all down to the entry fee then surely it is sustainable to keep it at 100ish km? One would assume the organisers would be making a loss by not increasing the entry fee, yet this year’s event had 180 entries compared to 119 last year and 139 the year before.

I would also assume that although getting more entry fees coming in, that with 140 finishers there is a bit of an increase in the cost of repairing the roads. But still, with 61 more entries than last that would cover a lot of the extra cost involved in this year’s running of the event?
It’s not quite as simple as that. It was a round of all of the top UK championships, that’s the main reason entries were so high. Remember that BRC chops and changed their calendar on a whim the last few years.

Extra first usage costs - not sure of the figure, maybe £900/mile?
Extra 2nd usage costs - again maybe £650/mike or something?
Recce is an extra cost.
Extra permit fees per car is maybe a few hundred extra?

But then you have extra costs like rescue crews, doctors, signage, fuel/car costs for officials, etc.

If it was sustainable, every event would be doing it. All the details I’ve seen was saying it was specific to being the 50th year of the event. I can’t see it being much option in the future or other events, most will make a very modest small profit which will need to tide them over in leaner years.