Page 45 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast
    Liked 240 Times in 127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macebig View Post
    But, it seems like the whole Andretti/FOM thing isn't helping his reputation in Motorsport a lot(or his stature as the President of FIA).
    I know this is OT but how. If anything it shows him as strong president that is doing the best for the sport, not best for the promoter.

But I hope he will also start to do that in WRC.

2. Likes: AndyRAC (25th October 2023),EstWRC (26th October 2023)
    Liked 406 Times in 215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    I know this is OT but how. If anything it shows him as strong president that is doing the best for the sport, not best for the promoter.

But I hope he will also start to do that in WRC.
    Fully agree! It's just FOM shortsighted greed that prevents Andretti. But the F1 situation shows that Ben Sulayem can't magically decide and improve things on his own, be it in F1 or rallying.

4. Likes: Eli (26th October 2023),EstWRC (26th October 2023),seb_sh (15th November 2023),the sniper (26th October 2023)
    Liked 103 Times in 33 Posts
    As much as 80% of the current Rally1 car will remain unchanged when the World Rally Championship introduces new technical regulations for 2027, according to the FIA.

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/...ions/10546298/

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Liked 11,193 Times in 4,442 Posts
    IMHO the technically easiest solution for a new WRC car, which could be atrractive for the current and new manufacturers, is an EV with CE working as a generator. That concept is known for more than 120 years, it works in many applications and was even used by Audi in Dakar. IMHO with well thought-out rules such cars are much easier and likely cheaper to build than the current ones. You have no gearbox, no super duper racing engine and you don't need large heavy batteries either. On top of that you have an easy way to control torque distribution even without using differentials.

Yes, it's something new and it won't sound like today's car but WRC needs something new. It badly needs something new.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

7. Likes: EstWRC (20th November 2023),Morte66 (22nd January 2024),skarderud (20th November 2023)
    Liked 1,370 Times in 713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    IMHO the technically easiest solution for a new WRC car, which could be atrractive for the current and new manufacturers, is an EV with CE working as a generator. That concept is known for more than 120 years, it works in many applications and was even used by Audi in Dakar. IMHO with well thought-out rules such cars are much easier and likely cheaper to build than the current ones. You have no gearbox, no super duper racing engine and you don't need large heavy batteries either. On top of that you have an easy way to control torque distribution even without using differentials.

Yes, it's something new and it won't sound like today's car but WRC needs something new. It badly needs something new.
    So in princip the same concept as this one
    https://www.google.com/search?q=opel...xEpRYTCIM&ip=1

Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    So in princip the same concept as this one
    https://www.google.com/search?q=opel...xEpRYTCIM&ip=1
    Basically the same concept as the first ever Ferdinand Porsche's car in 1898... and same as every diesel-electric train.

PS I didn't read your link because the google search appears to me in Norwegian.

10. Likes: Sulland (21st November 2023)
    Yes like the Opel Ampera.
    While it's a feasible way to get "electric vehicles" competitive in rallying, a serial Hybrid is technically a very bad solution in general. If the people/politics/media would be able to understand what they are lobbying for they'd be very upset that "their' BEV Dakar Audi is just a very inefficient Hybrid with a "evil" ICE.

Quote Originally Posted by becher View Post
    Yes like the Opel Ampera.
    While it's a feasible way to get "electric vehicles" competitive in rallying, a serial Hybrid is technically a very bad solution in general. If the people/politics/media would be able to understand what they are lobbying for they'd be very upset that "their' BEV Dakar Audi is just a very inefficient Hybrid with a "evil" ICE.
    The big heavy E-Tron had an average fuel consumption in the far worse terrain about 40 litres/100 km. That is definitely less than the current WRC cars. I fail to see why it is worse.
    Last edited by Mirek; 20th November 2023 at 19:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    The big heavy E-Tron had an average fuel consumption in the far worse terrain about 40 litres/100 km. That is definitely less than the current WRC cars. I fail to see why it is worse.
    Hm might be different in competition but for road cars it was less efficient than a comparable parallel hybrid, an Ampera in normal running was said to use between 7 and 9 liters per 100 km for example.

Presumably the fuel consumption of the Audi was with a pre charged battery?

Do you happen to know the approximate fuel consumption of a T1+ Toyota/BRX/...?

Liked 103 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by becher View Post
    Hm might be different in competition but for road cars it was less efficient than a comparable parallel hybrid, an Ampera in normal running was said to use between 7 and 9 liters per 100 km for example.

Presumably the fuel consumption of the Audi was with a pre charged battery?

Do you happen to know the approximate fuel consumption of a T1+ Toyota/BRX/...?
    Nissan is using similar technology on the new X-trail. There might be a future with this technology, when the engine runs on biofuel.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk