Alonso reflects on ‘crazy race’ in China after nearly crashing while Stroll gives his take on penalty for ‘weird’ incident.
It was an eventful race at the Chinese Grand Prix for the Aston Martin team, with Fernando Alonso working his way back through the field to P7 after slipping down the order from P2 on the opening lap, while Lance Stroll was hit with a penalty following an unusual incident with Daniel Ricciardo.
22 April 2024.
Formula One - Official Site

Asked for his thoughts on what had been a ‘crazy race’ for him, Alonso agreed: “Yeah, definitely, [a] crazy race. [There were] a lot of things happening for us in the race. “[I had a] great start, P2 the first couple of laps, then a few Safety Cars that probably didn’t help our strategy and made us save the tyres a little bit and last until the end. We had to make another stop, so that was not ideal. At the end [I] nearly crashed, but then fastest lap and P7, so all in all I think a good weekend.”

“We only had one [set of] hard tyres and in the middle of the hard stint the Safety Car came, so our good race tyre was gone in a way after that Safety Car,” the two-time world champion said. “We didn’t have any more options, so yeah, let’s see. Maybe next time we don’t race the Sprint we save tyres and we have more race for Sunday, like this we don’t have even a strange penalty.”

‘Alonso reflects’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...iCvryzSYcud0TM

Fernando Alonso threatens to skip Miami Sprint with ‘not worth it’ claim after penalty
22 Apr 2024 1:00 PM
Michelle Foster
Daily and Sunday Express

Slapped with three penalty points for causing a collision in the Sprint in China, Fernando Alonso has questioned whether it’s “worth” taking part in the next short race in Miami. The stewards ruled that he was responsible for causing the collision and said “per the guidelines on driving standards” the infringement required a 10-second penalty. They, however, didn’t state exactly what Alonso had done wrong.

But while the 10-second time penalty was a non-entity given he’d retired from the race, the more impactful punishment was the three penalty points put on his licence. That took his tally up to six in the space of just one month after his incident with George Russell at the Australian Grand Prix.

“These sanctions are not understood and I do not share them, especially in the case of licence points,” Fox Sport Mexico quotes him as having told DAZN. “Such an incredible penalty is once again unprecedented.” In fact, such is his ire over the penalty, he says it’s “almost worth not” taking part in the next Sprint in Miami.

‘Not worth it’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernan...worth-it-claim

KRACK SAYS STROLL’S PENALTY WAS ‘VERY HARSH’ AND ‘NOT SUPER CONSISTENT’
Aston Martin racked up the penalty points over the Chinese Grand Prix weekend with 13 in total across both drivers
April 22, 2024
Abby Bathurst
FormulaNerds

In China, both Fernando Alonso and Lance Stroll were granted penalties. Alonso received a 10-second penalty and three penalty points after Saturday’s Sprint. The reason being was that he was deemed the driver at fault for a collision with fellow Spaniard, Carlos Sainz. Whilst Alonso received a 10-second penalty, he was forced to retire from the Sprint and so the result was not changed.

After the Grand Prix, Krack was asked by media about the stewards’ decision regarding his drivers. As reported by PlanetF1, Aston Martin’s Team Principal admitted he thought the stewards were a bit harsh, specifically on Stroll’s incident with Ricciardo. Krack said: “Yes, the stewards have been tough to Fernando and Lance recently. We had it in the Sprint race, we had [it] in Melbourne.”

“You saw Fernando locking and then another car behind and I think everybody was a little bit caught out. I think at that stage we were happy that we did not lose both cars. I think it started further to the front, and I would have liked that this would’ve been looked at in a little bit more detailed way. We tried to discuss it but the verdict was very quickly that Lance was to blame and he got a 10-second penalty, in addition to the front wing damage.”

‘Aston Martin racked up the 13 penalty points’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/kr...er-consistent/

Fernando Alonso threatens to skip next race as Aston Martin star lays into FIA
Fernando Alonso was not pleased after his punishment at the Chinese Grand Prix.
14:57, Mon, Apr 22, 2024
By Charlie Gordon
Daily and Sunday Express

Fernando Alonso was outraged by his Chinese Grand Prix sprint race punishment. The penalty points could be damaging if Alonso encounters more difficulty later this season. The Spaniard has now amassed six in the last month as his Sainz clash followed a 'potentially dangerous driving' verdict which saw George Russell crash out in Australia.

The penalty points could be damaging if Alonso encounters more difficulty later this season. The Spaniard has now amassed six in the last month as his Sainz clash followed a 'potentially dangerous driving' verdict which saw George Russell crash out in Australia.

Picking up 12 points in a 12-month period would see the FIA dish out a rare race ban. While Alonso is up there in terms of drivers punished by F1's governing body, Perez and Logan Sargeant lead the way in the last year with eight points apiece.

‘Fernando Alonso was outraged’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ton-martin-FIA

F1 penalty system comes under fire with Lance Stroll and Kevin Magnussen disqualification argument
23 Apr 2024 5:00 PM
Jamie Woodhouse
PlanetF1.com

Leading Spanish Formula 1 broadcaster Antonio Lobato was left furious with what he saw as inconsistent steward verdicts in China, arguing Lance Stroll and Kevin Magnussen should have been at risk of disqualification going off the Fernando Alonso verdict. “I don’t want to be a pest with this topic, but it makes my blood boil,” he told SoyMotor.com.

“I’m looking at the penalties applied during the Chinese GP and I see that Kevin Magnussen has been given a 10-second penalty and two points on his Super Licence for a suicidal manoeuvre on Yuki Tsunoda and ruining his race after destroying his car. Lance Stroll has been given a 10-second penalty and two points, just two, on his Super Licence for crashing into Ricciardo and Piastri. And you ask yourself: ‘Did they change the stewards between Saturday and Sunday?’. How is it possible that the judgement measurement has changed!”

“Fernando Alonso in the Sprint race for fighting against Carlos Sainz, where they made contact but nothing else happened, and they gave us a good battle, he was handed a 10-second penalty and three points for his Super Licence. Are they trying to tell me that what Alonso did is more dangerous than what Magnussen or Stroll did? Does anyone really have a look into this and questions him or herself: ‘There is something wrong here’.

‘Inconsistent steward verdicts in China’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernan...n-magnussen-dq

Fernando Alonso lifts lid on Aston Martin dynamic with ‘whole project around Lance Stroll’

24 Apr 2024 12:00 PM
Michelle Foster
PlanetF1.com

Despite Mike Krack’s claim the Aston Martin project was built around Lance Stroll, Fernando Alonso says there’s more to it with team owner Lawrence Stroll “a racer” who wants to succeed. Alonso has implied there’s more to Lawrence Stroll’s ownership of the Aston Martin team than a safe landing spot for his son’s F1 ambitions.

“He’s a great man, great boss and a great owner of the brand,” the double World Champion told Channel 4. “I think at the end Lawrence is a racer, one of us, and loves motor racing, loves cars. I think what he has done with this team is just probably unprecedented. Taking it from Racing Point, Force India, and taking everything to the highest level possible. And now we are fighting with Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren and Red Bull.”

“So to have leading the project someone that loves racing is very rewarding for everyone. Lance and myself, we are trying to help the team as much as we can,” he said. “I think we have two different driving styles in some conditions, we have two different feelings with the car. I think Lance is a lot more sensitive to things than what I am, which is very important for the team. I think the analysis that Lance can reach and can feed back to the team is crucial to us and to improve the car.”

‘Aston Martin dynamic’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernan...stroll-project